Friday, December 19, 2008

Rick Warren, What's the Big Deal??

President-elect Barack Obama has chosen California pastor, Rick Warren to give the invocation at his inauguration in January.  I've seen many articles criticizing Obama for this choice.  Why?

This article on CNN.com written by Kathryn Kolbert states that Warren doesn't "deserve" the special honor of giving the invocation because he is pro-life, supported prop 8, and opposes stem cell research.  And??  What the heck do people expect?  A Christian pastor who is pro-choice, didn't support prop 8 and is gung ho about stem cell research?  Give me a break! Personally, I don't like this choice because Warren wrote what is absolutely the most stupid book I've ever attempted to read.  "The Purpose Driven Life".  What a total waste of paper.  If you're Christian, you have all the purpose you freakin' need people!  But, I'm digressing.

If Obama is of the Christian faith, it makes sense that he would choose a Christian pastor to do the invocation.  I think it would be rather hard to find a pastor that supports all of these issues. I guess he could choose a homosexual pastor who supports gay marriage but most likely he will not support the other two issues.  Also, she gave absolutely no credit to Warren for all of the good he and his church have done in the world.  Frankly, I'm tired of Christians being slammed all the time for the beliefs we hold.  I don't shove my beliefs down any one's throat but that doesn't mean I'm going to compromise them either.  I think homosexual couples should be allowed to marry.  In my mind, it's a civil rights issues.  My religious beliefs about homosexuality don't have to be everyone else's beliefs.  I would never, under any circumstances, choose to have an abortion but the Supreme Court has made the decision.  Sometimes personal, religious beliefs don't mesh with modern day laws.  Obama was slammed a few months ago for Reverend Wright and his so called "hate sermons."  Now, he slammed for picking someone who in the world of Christianity at least, is considered a watered down, moderate Christian.  Obama is "damned if he does and damned if he doesn't."  Lay off of Obama.  He fought a long, hard campaign and he won.  Let him choose whoever he wants to do the invocation.

No comments: