Monday, January 19, 2009

Wow...

It's been a long time since I've blogged! I guess I could give a little update. Our holidays were great. We spent Christmas in Dallas with my family and then it was up to Kansas to visit with the hubby's relatives. Then, over the first weekend of January, we had Christmas with the hubby's immediate family back in Houston. Lots of fun was had by all. Since the first of the year, we have been looking for houses. Those of you who read my Boo's blog know that whole story. I have another house that I found this weekend. I really like it but I'm going to make a pretty low offer on this one too (we're in a recession dang it!!) and try to get a good deal out of this guy. Even my "low" offer is still above the average square foot price for the neighborhood but he has done some very nice improvements. (As long as the walls aren't leaking!!) But, after 15 years of the mortgage business and underwriting, I know one thing. Cost is NOT value. If you put $15,000 of improvements in your house, your value does not increase $15,000. It's not a dollar for dollar thing even with something major like a swimming pool, etc. We'll see if he bites. The 2008 taxes on the property have not been paid and he's hanging on for dear life to a buyer who can't get their financing. He's basically told me that if my offer is not good enough, he's sticking with the buyers who will probably never close. Oh well, the first rule of negotiations is...you gotta be willing to walk away! AND, I am. The market is not totally bad in Houston, but it ain't great either, and I want a good deal. There are way too many houses just sitting on the market to not get a great deal right now. I will update more on the house later....

No comments: