Friday, June 27, 2008

Just a Thought..

My Boo and I were talking a while back about the Americans with Disabilities Act and if people who are severely overweight should be included in it's protections. My Boo's thinking was that the ADA covers individuals who cannot help their disabilities. True, I get that point. But, what about the drunk driver who crashed his car and is now in a wheelchair? He gets the protections of the ADA. He/She didn't have to be an idiot and drive drunk. What about the people who take risks and bungee jump or get hurt while skydiving or something like that? Just hypotheticals, of course. I'm not saying that obese persons should or should not be protected. I haven't done enough research or thought on my own to make a decision either way. I think it's interesting that most would agree in that obese people can "help" it thereby they do not deserve any sympathy.
Again, just a thought....

1 comment:

Travis R said...

It is not far off, and there are already things done in public buildings, that have been built in recent years, that are accommodating people who are severely overweight. And most people would not even notice them. It is just a matter of time before it becomes common practice, and has legislation in place to make it required. it took a long time to come up with the ADA act, and all of the rules associated with it.