Wednesday, August 6, 2008

First Lady of Lakewood


Many of you have heard of Lakewood Church here in Houston. You know, it's Joel Osteen's church. Well, his wife, Victoria Osteen has been embroiled in controversy the last few months. Victoria's civil suit, brought against her by an airline flight attendant, started this week. Victoria is being represented by Houston's own, Rusty Hardin. The same guy representing Roger Clemens and many other local celeb types.

So, Victoria is accused of hitting the flight attendant because she refused to clean water off of her first class seat. Now, mind you, I have met many airline employees in my day that I would have loved to smack. Rude seems to be the new way to go with airline employees these days. It's not just civil liberties that have gone by the wayside in the name of "Homeland Security." Politeness and customer service are also pretty much gone but that's another story I'll tell sometime...

Is Victoria being victimized because of her money and status? Did this flight attendant see deep pockets and decide to go after them? Probably. Or, is Victoria the type that tells people to bow down before Jesus when she really thinks they should bow before her?? Probably.

This seems like the "perfect storm" scenario to me. Privileged Lakewood Princess meeting opportunist at the same time. I doubt the controversy will last for long. I do give the Osteens credit for fighting. They had to release their financial documents to the world so I think that says something. I would have expected this situation to go away quietly. We'll have to see how things pan out. Besides, Dodie is the real First Lady of Lakewood...

3 comments:

Kris said...

this story makes me sad. Christian celebrities, if you will, do have a spot light on them. they are held to a higher standard. and i do believe, in answering cain's question, we (Christians) are our brothers keeper. we have to be careful what we say and do not to cause a brother to stumble. yes, she may have just been having a bad day and took it out on someone else, we have all done that. but, being in the spotlight puts more restrains on her. it is a side effect of her position.

we can all, mrs. osteen included, learn a lesson from this situation.

kw

Feisty 'Bama Princess said...

Well, I've never had a bad enough day that I would slam someone into a door because she wouldn't wipe water off of my first class seat on a plane...(Okay, I've thought about it but never actually done it!)

We're also responsible to speak the truth in love. Okay, so there wasn't much love in my blog but there was some truth...in my humble opinion anyway! Also, Victoria should think before she acts because she knows that it will place her and by default her faith in a bad light. CNN.com had the headline of "Mega Church Co-Pastor Loses Her Faith." It's a huge responsibility but one that she signed up for..

If you're going to be any kind of celebrity, Christian or otherwise, you are held to a higher level..it just goes with the territory and Victoria as well as Brad & Angelina, McCain, Obama and the others know what they signed up for when they did it.

Feisty 'Bama Princess said...

Wait, I've only been in First Class once and I found all of the attendants to be just delightful!