Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Response to EW...

I tried so hard to leave this alone and let my one response be enough. But, the more I think about it, even the day after seeing this on my blog, I find it still very hurtful. Not angering, but hurtful. This is the comment in question...

AH hah, another Liberal espousing what is accepted in academic circles as if a Republican can not be part of those circles. It is interesting how you liberals refer to the Republicans as intellectually inferior that are not capable of being part of your elitist group. When you can not debate you resort to ad hominem attacks on the opposing party. I never understood why disagreeing is received as a personal attack. Healthy debate is always good. Another observation I have made is how venomous and hateful you liberals can be. Signed Kris's Husband EW

There are several things about this comment that bother me. First, I realize that my comments, especially concerning politics can be feisty, angering and yes, sarcastic but frankly so can the person's that he's defending. I don't feel that I have ever outright insulted this person. I don't know how much EW reads my blog but I do know that he doesn't really even know me. I've spoken to this person for about an hour in my entire life. I don't think I have ever been "venomous and hateful." I really am hurt by that comment. The hurt surpasses the anger. I think that's why it bothers me so much. This couple is a part of a family that I respect so much. KW's Mom is one of the classiest ladies I have ever met. She usually has me in tears whenever I see her because she always compliments me and tells me how wonderful I am and what a great man my husband is. While I don't agree with everything he believes in, KW's Dad helps build churches around the world so that others can hear the gospel and have a place to build their faith. I had the same feelings about KW and EW. I have heard the story about EW's past and how he came back to his faith. I really respected that, but this whole episode may have completely severed our ties to this entire family. That's sad to me. Above all else, we have more important things that we do agree about. My response to KW's comment that elicited this retort was that I was tired of playing. I was. But, why, this? Maybe he felt the need to come to the defense of his wife. I understand that as I am the first to defend my husband. I am many things, but never venomous and hateful. Here are a few other things that I disagree with in this comment and felt the need to correct EW about:

  1. I am not part of any elitist academic group. If you knew me better, you would know that I am still working on my undergrad degree! And, I absolutely never said Republicans were intellectually inferior. I simply stated that in academic circles, Wikipedia is not considered a reliable source of information and that is true. It was not meant to call your wife stupid or inferior.
  2. Frankly, the only venom and anger I see was EW's comment. Why?
  3. "Liberal"? I do not put myself in the category of liberal or conservative. I am a little of both and I embrace some ideals of all parties. I like to think I take what I think is the best of both and make my own purple party.
  4. Disagreeing is not a personal attack but the disagreements were going too far on both sides. Frankly, this is what I wanted to avoid.
So, at the end of the day we have lost friends. I'm sad but I'm more sad to think that someone made such a harsh judgment about me based on a few blog postings. You know, I have bad days just like everyone else. Sometimes I make a post and later I think I was wrong, or God forbid, I change my mind. I guess I'm a "flip-flopper." I'm human. I'm a work in progress. I'm on a journey, just like EW. I'm sorry, EW, if I angered you enough to lash out like that. But, I'm not sorry for my views, my blogs or anything else. My blog is my blog and my comments are my comments. I will own them, right or wrong but I pray that I never, ever hurt someone.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Not all conservatives are as mean as this person who posted to you.
2) You can post whatever the hell you want on YOUR blog.
3) Ya'll folks can click somewhere else if you don't like it. There is never any call to be so rude. It's easy to speak your mind from the other side of the internet.

I took a quiz, it told me I was a Libertarian. It was from the Interwebz. It must be true.

Anonymous said...

Feisty,

I am sorry I posted my response under a different title.

EW