Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Do We Truly Love All Freedoms?

Many are now trying to use this slip by Obama as his supposed admission of his Muslim faith.  This is just so silly.  First, wasn't this country founded because of religious persecution?  What would be so wrong if he was a Muslim except that that isn't YOUR faith?  I am a Christian.  I believe that Jesus is the Son of God.  I believe he died and rose again and is the atonement for my sins.  I believe.  But, if we are going to espouse the ideals of democracy so much that we force our beliefs on other nations then shouldn't we hold ourselves to those same ideals on the highest level?  What does freedom of religion really mean to YOU?  Does it mean that your religion is the only right religion or that we are tolerant individuals who, while we may not agree, can love and respect? I think the reason everyone is so scared that he is a Muslim is because Americans are being taught, mostly by the media, movies and our own government, to fear them.  Not all Muslims hate Americans.  Not all Muslims want to grow up to be human bombers.  Not all Muslims want to follow Osama Bin Laden.  Keep in mind that Christianity has had it's share of radicals as well.  Remember the guy who blew up abortion clinics and killed people because of the pro-life stance?  We are not called as Christians to kill.  I bet if you ask ten pro-life Christians their stance on the death penalty, you will find all ten are also pro-death penalty.  Yet another way even we Christians can be misunderstood by those of other faiths.  We have to get past this.  The same way I will not attack Romney for being a Mormon or Kennedy for being Catholic or anyone else is because I think we need to understand that freedom of religion is part of the very fabric of America.  I think that someone could be of a religion other than mine and still run this country in an efficient manner.  Yes, I believe that faith speaks to who we are.  But I also know that many Christian leaders have messed up really bad on moral issues and we don't seem to hit them as hard.  Moral issues of infidelity, cheating, stealing etc...  Yes, we are called as Christians to go to all the world and tell the good news of the gospel and convert others to our faith.  I just don't think hate and intolerance are the way to go about it.  They will know you by your love.  I am very passionate about my politics.  A passion that some have mistaken for anger and hatred.  That could be farther from the truth and frankly, those people don't know me very well.  I have come a long way in the past eight years.  My first reaction to 9/11 was "make the middle east a parking lot."  Now, by God's grace, I have grown to a better understanding of who He is and why that attitude is only giving God a black eye.  So, I think Obama is a Christian.  After all, he was being bashed for his Christian pastor not that long ago.  I think this was a slip.  I have no concerns about this candidate that I still endorse.  I hope that, as a nation, we can get over the discrimination against other faiths the same way we have tried (and not totally succeeded) to overcome discrimination against other races.


No comments: