Friday, April 11, 2008

The Bimbo Culture

I've been working to finish my Psychology term paper recently and have been scouring many different books and articles for information. I came across a book called "The Obesity Myth" by Paul Campos. It's a very interesting book and one thing in particular caught my attention in his chapter entitled, The Bimbo Culture. I keep thinking about my feminist "friend of a friend" who was so wrapped up in her poor self image and still thinks that it's about not saying the word "fat" instead of the meaning behind the word "fat" when she says it about herself or others. And Lord, it's not about health either. Do what you need to do to be healthy and feel great. That's what I do. I've been working on walking more and getting exercise. It's not a crime. AND....say "fat" all you want as long as you use it as with no hatred and disgust thrown into the mix. Here's that section I found interesting:

"Where, I wonder, are the mainstream feminist organizations on this issue? When is the last time NOW or the like had something to say about the fact that a significant portion of the nation's economy is based on making women feel as if they must do everything possible to acquire the bodies of teenage boys?"

Where indeed are all the feminist organizations? Body image torture against women has been mainstream for as long as I can remember. What is it going to take to change this tide of hatred and double standards against women?



No comments: