Thursday, April 3, 2008

"In Defense of Fat Acceptance"

I am so fired up about this "fat" thing. I can't stop thinking about it. Actually, I think I'm going to change the entire subject of my Psychology term paper to revolve around this topic. The paper is due soon so I'm probably crazy but I just feel passionate about it and it's a topic that has actually got me wanting to write this paper! Hallelujah!

In doing some research online, I came across the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance. I have heard of them before but never really looked into the organization in detail. While I do not necessarily agree with everything I saw, I think the main components of their message ring very true. I found this awesome essay that speaks right to the heart of this issue. It is written by Mary Ray Worley and is titled "Fat and Happy: In Defense of Fat Acceptance." When you have a few minutes to read this essay, just click here.
If you want to visit the naafa website, click here.
Bravo Mary Ray Worley!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear you are learning about size acceptance. Fat studies is a hot topic right now. If you are really interested in writing a paper, I have some yahoo groups for your to join where you can further your education on this subject.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naafanews/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fatstudies/

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/showmethedata/

Hope you can join us at convention in LA this summer. The workshops are wonderful and you can get continuing education credits for some of the ASDAH workshops.

Looking forward,
Peggy Howell
Public Relations Director, NAAFA

Feisty 'Bama Princess said...

Peggy,
Thanks so much! I will check them out! :)