Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Do Bird of a Feather Really Flock Together?

I have used this saying for many years and I have usually believed it. But, when I see this week that Palin is trying to tie yet another "radical" to Obama, I wonder...

First, this is again, a desperation move. So far, Obama is a Muslim terrorist who just happens to have a Christian "radical" pastor, and is friends with William Ayers, and now he is best buds with a supposed "advisor" to the PLO (which he has denied). Oh yeah, and as of today his Aunt is an illegal immigrant.

So, who do you hang out with? Do you hang with people just like you or do you hang with some folks who might disagree with you on religion, abortion, death penalty, etc.. If you don't, I feel bad for you. You're really missing out. I don't think that if I have dinner with a pro-choice friend that I will somehow be tied to everything that person believes. If I have a friend who wants to see a little more civil disobedience (not blowing people up obviously) that anyone should assume that I believe the same thing. How are we supposed to have intelligent debate if we are never around others who have a different opinions from our own. It's like having a life of one big pat on the back for yourself. Sometimes, through work, school and other activities we meet people that are not just like us. Do you take the time to know them or do you think, "oh, I just work with him/her"?

And, let's think, who else in history hung around people who didn't think like them?? Hum, who could it be? Who is it? Jesus, perhaps?? Now, I'm never friends with someone just to see them change their opinions. I'm friends to be friends but how can anyone ever see another view if they don't see yours in a non-threatening way?? I'm not just talking about religion either.

So, go on Obama. Have friends that don't think just like you. Have some "radicals" around you. I don't think that means you agree, in fact, you could be like me. It may mean you disagree.