Sunday, October 5, 2008

What Has Happened To Us?

Here is a little part of a conversation I overheard yesterday at Half Price Bookstore in the clearance fiction section. This conversation took place between a mother and daughter. The mother was probably mid 60's and the daughter was at least mid 30's.

MOM: "So are you going to vote before you leave?"
DAUGHTER: "No."
MOM: "Oh, so you're going to absentee vote?"
DAUGHTER: "No."
MOM: "So, when are you going to vote?"
DAUGHTER: (No Answer, just silence)
MOM: "You're not going to vote are you!?" (Stunned)
DAUGHTER: "No."
MOM: "Why not? You just don't care do you?"
DAUGHTER: "No."
MOM: "Why not?"
DAUGHTER: "The race has already been decided. The President is not elected by popular vote but by senators who control the electoral college."
MOM: "That's not really accurate. You're not concerned with how this affects you at all are you?"
DAUGHTER: "No."
MOM: "Well, you should be!"

This is completely amazing to me. I have no tolerance for people who just don't bother to vote, especially those of minorities or women who had to fight to get the right to do so.

Do you think these women would make excuses as to why they could or should not vote? This photo, credit to the Library of Congress, is of women at the ballot box in 1917 in New York. Do you think they would appreciate the lame excuse of this female as to why she would not vote? In my opinion, it is nothing more than a decision to be mindless and unconcerned if not a little lazy. I don't want to hear the reasoning of "I don't like either candidate." I understand this predicament as it has often been true with me. At the same time, I feel that I have a duty. I have a hard fought for responsibility to allow my voice to be heard and to honor the work of past generations who have allowed me the privilege of voting! Don't we understand that voting is a privilege? Where did we get the idea that it was acceptable to not vote? Why do more and more American's subscribe to this notion that they don't care about our government and leadership enough to make a well thought out decision and place their vote at the ballot box? I suspect that it has gone the same direction as our priorities with our kids in school. We value sports & cheerleading more than science and math. Yes, perhaps, this phenomenon has something to do with our values. What do we value? What do you value? You don't have to be a news, politics junkie like me. Just listen. Listen to what the candidates are saying. Do your own research. Then VOTE on November 4th.

A citizen of America will cross the ocean to fight for democracy, but won't cross the street to vote in a national election. ~Bill Vaughan


No comments: